Friday, July 15, 2005

Current reading

Since I did not have time to do any knitting yesterday, I thought I would post about books today. I read quite a bit, and we have a house full of books: shelves in every room, and piles of books all over as well. I get most of my books from a used bookstore that benefits our local libraries. Books there cost anywhere from 25 cents for most mass market paperbacks and up. Most trade paperbacks and hardbacks are $1.00. Books that are especially popular, or really nice are more (The Harry Potter books in hardbound are about $5.00 right now) but I don't recall ever seeing anything over about $10.00. All of the books are donated, and all the workers volunteers, so it generates quite a bit of money for our local library. So, I buy most of my books there, and then I keep the ones I really like, and give back the others. About every 6 months I go through the house and reconsider the books I have and get rid of some more, just because we have run out of space.

Right now I am reading The Most Beautiful House in the World by Witold Rybczynski. I just started it the other day, and am not very far into it, but I am really enjoying his writing style. Kind of a slow, meandering tour of architectural history.

The last book I read was A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. This is the first time I have read it, and I really enjoyed it. I can see myself reading it again. This won the Pulitzer Prize in 1981. About 5 years ago I decided that I would read all the Pulitzer Price winners for fiction. I have read about 20 so far, so I still have a long ways to go, but I have enjoyed all of them. The reason I have been reading them so slowly is that I mainly buy them at the used book store, so I only get them when I come across them.

Last week my husband was looking for something good to read, so I handed him Empire Falls, by Richard Russo. He read it in about four days, and enjoyed it so much he has decided to try to read all the Pulitzers as well. So he asked if I have any others around. Then, when I started pulling them off the shelves, he decided they should all be grouped together, rather than filed alphabetically with the other fiction books. A few years ago, I had started doing that, but when we rearranged some of our shelves I moved them back into the general fiction. Kind of funny that I have been playing at this for 5 years, and now he suddenly takes notice.

The pictures show some of our books: under the livingroom window (modeled by Doobie, our 8 year old lab) and in the hallway.

We actually got some sun today, and my husband had the day off, so he and a friend went hiking. I am waiting for them to call so I can pick them up and take them back to where they left the car. So I think I will go sit in the backyard and enjoy the sun myself (and work on Kiri) while I wait.