Thursday, July 07, 2005

Kiri


I knit this a few months ago using Polly's wonderful Kiri pattern and sari silk. It is small for a shawl-- more of a large scarf. I think I did 3 repeats of the pattern on size 15 needles.
As you can see in the second picture, there are bunches of small bells hanging from the 5 centermost points. These clip on with lobster clasps, so I can remove them if I am going somewhere I don't want to jingle. I think they work well with the funkiness of the sari silk. They are really very quiet, and not even noticeable except in a very quiet place.

The picture of it on the grass also shows a bag I made out of the same sari silk with a pattern I made up as I went. It also has removable bunches of bells on the drawstrings, and the strap clips on so I can change the length. I only carry a purse when we go out. Most of the time I just shove my keys, phone, and wallet inmy pockets. So I needed a bag to hold all that stuff when I wear something dressier than jeans, and I don't want to have to keep my coat handy.

I was reading what Cate wrote about knitting lace, and I completely agree. I have been so distractable lately; it seems I never do only one thing at a time. I read or watch movies when I knit, or I knit in front of the computer. At work I seem to jump from project to project. I think one reason I enjoyed knitting this so much, I it took my attention so completely that I didn't do anything else at the same time. I just knit--and I enjoyed it!

Since I finished this, I keep looking at other lace projects and trying to decide if I should knit another shawl of something. I know if I do, I'll probably never wear it. We don't dress up that often, and I work in a woodshop so it would never work there. I think I've decided to go ahead and knit another shawl and donate it to a charity auction that will be happening this fall. So the only question now is: Which one?