Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Weekend Update

I had a pretty good weekend. I didn't do much celebrating, but I did get a lot done. On Saturday I worked a booth at a charity carnival. There were about 10 booths in all, and each was raising money for a non profit organization or community project. The various booths had carnival games, face painting, etc. People buy tickets when they come in, and use them at the various booths. Then at the end of the day, the tickets are turned in, and each organization is paid what they earned. All the prizes for the games were paid for in advance with money raised from sponsors, so ALL the money spent on tickets goes to the non profits. I belong to a fraternal organization, and our booth was raising money to help with medical cost for 3 local kids: 2 of them have cancer, and the other one has some surgery coming up. We raised $600.00 on Saturday, to add to the other funds we have raised. Not bad for a days work. I didn't hear how all the booths did, but several that I did talk to were in the $400 to $500 range, so I think as a whole the carnival did pretty good. And the kids playing the games all seemed to be having a great time. This used to be an annual event here in town, but ended after a fire destroyed all the booths and some of the games. This year one of the malls decided to host it, and it seemed to go well. They also have the advantage of being able to hold it indoors, so even though the weather was awful, they got a good turnout. Hopefully they will do it again next year.

Sunday I ran errands in the morning, and then cleaned house. I hate to say it, but I am finally getting around to "spring cleaning"." Spring is our best weather here, so we spend as much time outside as we can in April, May and June, and my house was showing it. So on Sunday I started de-cluttering. All the stuff that gets put somewhere "just for now, I'll put it away latter" got put away (or went in the trash, or donation box). All the stuff in the living room, and entry way at least, I still have to go through stuff in the bedroom. My husband worked on the shed on Friday when he was off, so we got a good start.

On Monday local legend held true and we got good weather for the 4th of July. (Good is a relative term and in this case means it wasn't blowing a gale and pissing rain.) We had scattered showers in the morning, then the clouds blew out and by afternoon it was sunny and about 70 degrees. Perfect weather. So we worked in the yard. I weeded and deadheaded the flowers, and my husband dealt with the compost piles and mostly we just dinked around and enjoyed the yard. It was a great way to spend the day.

Today, July 5th, is the traditional start of the rainy season here. We average 223 days of rain a year, with April and May having the least rainfall, and October the most. So from here it gets wetter and wetter. Oh well, that's what makes the sunny days so great!