Sunday, July 17, 2005

Why I didn't go to art school

Okay, you can see why I never went to art school. Here is a bad sketch of how I envision my bag coming out. I have several shoulder bags already, so I think one with handles will be a better choice for this one. After I get it felted I will mess with making it fold in at the top like I have it drawn. I think I may stitch the top inch or so like a pleat to make it keep this shape when closed, but still open fully. The colors didn't come out great on the scanner, either, but the colored pencils I used weren't exact matches either, so I don't suppose it really matters, as it is basically just a visual note to myself.

This is another bag I made last winter. I based it on the idea in Cat Bordhi's Book, and just made it up as I went along. The yarn is Paton's Classic Merino. I had one skein of each color, and had enough left over from the bag for a pair of Fuzzy Feet. When I knit this I made the base round, but then changed my mind when I felted it, and blocked it into an oval shape. I love the bright colors.

The knitting you see there is a sweater I am working on. It is the With-a-Twist Turtleneck from Sally Melville's The Purl Stitch, and I am knitting it in ggh Relax. I finished the front and back, and did the shoulder seam using a 3 needle bind off. Then I tried it on and remembered that I planned to do some short row shaping on the front. I did most of the front while watching movies, and got distracted from what I was doing. By the time I remembered I was supposed to stop and figure out the short row thing, I was almost done with the front, so I decided to just keep going and see if I really need the short rows. What was I thinking--being of the "full figured" variety, of course I need them. So there it sits, waiting for me to rip back, figure out where to start the short rows, and re-do the front. One reason this has been waiting (for about 2 months now) is that once I got the shoulder seems done and tried it on, I'm not sure this is the right yarn for this sweater. Or maybe not the right yarn for me. It is too fluffy and soft, and makes me feel like an orange marshmallow. Having put it that way, it seems pretty obvious that I really don't like it. So, I'm going to rip the whole thing and think of something else to do with that yarn. I love the color, but I think the only way I will like the texture is to use it with another yarn so the fabric has more substance. At least I got the yarn on clearance. (Besides that, if I rip it, I can have my bag back to use for another project.)