Monday, July 25, 2005

Wrist Warmers

Thanks Christina, for the comment. (Look, my first comment!)

Those will be my second pair of wrist warmers. I made these in March, shortly after starting my current job. My office is always cold, and this spring, it was occasionally so cold my hands would be numb. I have always had cold-sensitive hands, and I find I use these a lot, even this time of year. Our low temperatures get down in the high 40's or low 50's at night, even in the summer. Regular gloves would be too warm but these are perfect on a chilly night. We turn our furnace off in May usually, so it is sometime chilly in the house in the morning or when I am up in the middle of the night. (My allergies often keep me from sleeping.) I made this pair with some Patons Kroy socks that I had around. I read a couple of patterns for gloves, and then just made these to fit my hands based on what I read. I want another pair in a more subdued color, and I'll make a couple other changes as well. One of the things I don't like about these is that they are too long by the little finger, and too short by the index finger. Now that I have learned about short rows, I'll be able to make the next pair fit better.

I made some progress on Kiri this weekend (I'm on row 88 now), but mostly I worked on my bag. It is now about 16 inches long, and the bottom is done except for grafting the seam. Next I will pick up the stitches from the provisional cast on, and knit until I am almost out of yarn, then figure out how I want to attach the handles. No photos today though, as my camera battery died.

I finished reading The Secret Life of Bees this weekend, that's what I was doing as I knit on my bag. I thought it was a very good book. Then I started reading A Widow For One Year, by John Irving. My DH and I watched The Door in the Floor this weekend, and As soon as I saw the opening scene I recognized it. (I had no idea what the movie was about, my DH chose it.) I read the book years ago, and some of the scenes have stuck with me ever since. So after seeing the movie, which is base on just a portion of the book, I had to read the book again. I love the way John Irving writes, his scenes are so visual.