Sunday, September 25, 2005

Finally--Kiri!

Finally--Kiri is blocked. This has been a busy couple of weeks. I wasn't able to block Kiri at work, as my boss worked last weekend. Also, I was sick all last weekend so I didn't get anything else done either. Saturday I spent all day knitting 4 rows on the Victorian Shoulderette. Actually, I knit them, realized that I was off somewhere, had to rip out everything I had done, and then redid it. Then I found another mistake, and ripped some more, and reknit. Then I put it away. Sunday I slept all day. This week was crazy at work with competing deadlines and equipment problems. I am taking the second half of this week off, so I am trying to finish some things up before I go, so that just added to everything. On the other hand, the overtime I got last week will help make up for taking half next week off.
I finally came up with a plan for blocking Kiri. I bought one of those gridded cardboard cutting mats, covered it in plastic sheeting so it won't absorb so much water, and screwed 1x2's to the long sides. Then, after I pinned out Kiri, I just leaned it up against the bookshelves in the living room, and it was out of the way (and out of the reach of all the beasties) while it dried. The 1x2's keep the cardboard rigid so I can stand it up without it folding back up at all. And when I am not using it, I can just take the 1x2's off and put them back in the shed, and fold the cardboard up and store it in the closet until next time.
Kiri blocked out to 70 inches wide, and 35 inches long at the center. I bought this yarn off ebay, and was told it was 100% wool, except for the colored specks, but now I don't think that is the case, because it didn't block as well as I expected. The points didn't keep their shape as well as I would have liked. I tried steaming it with my iron before I unpinned it, and that helped some. I will try to get pictures of it if it ever stops raining.
I also finished the Victorian Shoulderette this weekend, and it is blocking now. I didn't do the edging on this, as I think I like the plain edge. There is enough going on with the multi-color, and the lace band. The yarn is Imperiale S-Print by Filatura. It is 80% mohair, 20% polyamide, and I used about 2 1/2 25g balls. This picture doesn't show the colors at all, but I will try to get a better picture of it one day this week.